Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Rock or Ball

Dave had decided to run into the thrift store the other day and look for a screen so the kids could watch their movies. The kids and I waited in the car. He said he wouldn't be long. He was wrong.
I have quit looking on my phone when in the car with my kids. I've realized how weird it must be to look in on the situation and see a mom sitting in silence staring at a rectangle while her boisterous children sit right behind her. I can't rid that thought. And I can't miss moments anymore. I'm done with filler moments, the phone surfing additives and the busy artificial ingredients I so often dump in my day.

I started talking to my kids about whatever came up. I read them a verse. And then. We heard a trucks desperation noises. We glanced over across the parking lot at the lady with her small child in the backseat, trying to start her falling apart small pick up truck. It wouldn't start. Over and over. She tried. It wouldn't. We watched her head collapse on the steering wheel. I know that feeling. I know those moments. She kept turning the key hoping. Needing it to start. It was near dusk and I knew she needed to get on home. 

We always need home.

We prayed for her. Not longer than a few moments later her truck was going over the curb and driving off. We all laughed as the trucks wheels all hit the pavement again and squealed off. We watched them leave us for good, as the Texas sunset closed the scene.
It was only a few seconds before my oldest son asked.
Mom would you rather be friends with a ball or a rock?
The question surprised me. Hmm. I smiled. I like when they ask me things. Things that drive us places deep within.
I didn't answer quite yet. I'm a mom, I was thinking.
Jackson piped up.
If you were friends with a ball what would you do if the wind blew? When the wind blows mom you don't want friends that are balls. You'd be all alone.
I had decided as he was saying this that I would go with rock. Absolutely.
I didn't tell them yet.
Mom, Christian started up, friends are supposed to stick close, like a brother, so I would pick a rock. Rocks stay and stay.
Me too Jackson said. I don't want ball friends. I know there's wind.
I'd pick a rock too guys. I told them.
It's a cool moment when you realize you've been reading to them about God being the everlasting rock and they are processing it in little heart-worlds filled with whimsy and curiosity.
It's official. We all want rocks. I think about getting them rocks for Christmas, but I remember this is a principal. Not actual rocks we all want.
Dave took a good long while. He returned empty handed with a story of his own about the screens and the adapters. And as we drove away, they asked him.
Dad would you rather be friends with a ball or a rock?
He turned the corner and smiled the question in. Sometimes a dads wisdom can see a mile or two down the road.
A rock, he said.
And with this household it gets crazy quick.
Ok. Jackson said. Would you rather be friends with....... a stick or a leaf?
The scenarios kept changing. And they kept pondering what is it about friends that make them worth having the whole drive home.

1 comment:

  1. Your words are powerful, Caryl. Full of love. Was especially hit by your second paragraph.

    ReplyDelete